Sunday, February 17, 2013

Gluten-Free, Low-Lactose, Creamy Tomato Basil Soup – Nailed It!

In the last couple years, I have been obsessed with making soup.  See, as I mentioned in my last post, due to my allergy to celery, I am unable to eat most pre-made soups.  They either have big chunks of celery, use celery seed or salt, and/or use chicken stock (also made with celery of some sort).  For a long time, I just went without soup, but now I have a hand blender and I am not afraid to use it!  J

This isn’t my first attempt at making a gluten-free, low-lactose, creamy tomato basil soup, but this was certainly the best, and I only had to make small modifications!  I found that it didn’t need any salt or pepper either.  It was so good, I wanted to bust out some French bread and Irish butter, but you know… that totally defeats the point of modifying to gluten-free and low-lactose.  Ha.
 
 
 
 
I switched out the Coconut Creamer for the Creamed Coconut at the last minute... so it got X'd out!  I also decided that it didn't really need any salt or pepper.
This should be where the big X is in the picture above.  :)
(Serves 5)
 
* 5 medium tomatoes (or 5-8 tomatoes on the vine), peeled, seeded, and diced.
* 5 cups tomato juice
* 14 – 15 fresh basil leaves
* 3 Tablespoons of Creamed Coconut
* ½ cup Ghee (Clarified butter, lower on lactose)
* Salt & Pepper to taste.  (I didn’t end up using any.)


  1. Place tomatoes and juice in a stock pot over medium heat.  Simmer for 30 minutes.
  2. Add basil leaves, and puree mixture.  (Puree longer if you would like a more smooth texture, puree less for a more thick texture.)
  3. Return pureed mixture to medium heat, add creamed coconut and ghee.
  4. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
  5. Heat until ghee has melted (Do Not Boil).
(see original recipe here!)

 
The Creamed Coconut adds a little bit of grit to the texture, but seriously, I made it without and ended up adding it in later because it really enhanced the flavor of the soup!  If you try this recipe and modify it even further, let me know how it turns out.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment